Welcome to Holy Shih Tzu! Please login or register and join in!

For Shih Tzu Lovers everywhere to Chat

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 102 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Latest topics

» I miss you guys....
Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm by ஐJudelஐ

» Looking at a Shih Tzu Pup
Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 pm by daisydotes

» Please welcome Maggie as Show Advisor
Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:09 pm by jessup

» Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!
Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am by Fluff

» Help Harness keeps coming off
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm by daisydotes

» House Breaking
Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 am by Fluff

» New shih tzu owner
Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:51 pm by achoo

» Hi, I'm New
Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:47 am by Honeyboo

» Hello New ToThe Community
Thu May 22, 2014 12:27 pm by daisydotes

» I have 3 Shih-Tzus! New to the forum! :)
Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 pm by LokisMamma

Welcome jah4

Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 39099
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Welcome jah4

Post by Fluff on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:07 am

welcome

To

Holy Shih Tzu

group cheer
    group cheer group cheer
    group cheer group cheer group cheer

daisydotes
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 18834
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Re: Welcome jah4

Post by daisydotes on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:40 pm

welcome from me and the crew party popper party popper

atryec
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female
    Number of posts : 8684
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post by atryec on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Welcome, from me and the boys shihtzu shihtzu
    Claire
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 19569

Post by Claire on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 am

welcome to the forum

from me and my two wag wag

Jump right in and tell us all about yourself and your pooches..we love all breeds here group hug

can't wait to hear all about you and them!

shihtzu

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

jah4
    Puppy
    Puppy

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-06-28

Post by jah4 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Wow... what a warm welcome! I didn't even realize this was here! :) Thank you all! Yes, I am new and our family of 6 just brought home Chimo earlier today!

So far, housebreaking has been a dream (knock on wood) - he had one poo and one pee accident, but TOTALLY my fault. LOL - I was like, "he needs to go... he needs to go" - and then he went! HELLO!? Open the door for the little bugger! :) haha... Anyways, he seems to know to go outside on the grass...

I am in the process of crate training him - which for the most part has been a little stressful with the whining, crying and barking... I am following the protocol set out in Dr. Ian Dunbar's, "Before You Bring Home Puppy" - which basically is leaving in his crate when we are around for the most part unless training or playing. He seems okay with being in it, but we run into a few problems when we close the door.

He is still a bit shy - he doesn't really go anywhere but his crate corner in the living room. We are starting a strict schedule tomorrow - or attempt to stick to a schedule anyways... lol... I have read it is the 'rule' to having a well behaved puppy...

I have to admit, I feel a bit overwhelmed because of the whining, crying and barking - much like I did when the babies arrived... someone PLEASE tell me this stage will pass... I have been told that already, but I love when I am reassured! lol...

I will have to post photos and make a fancy signature like you all too...

Oh - Chimo is a purebred shih tzu according to the breeder, but his muzzle is on the long side... is this normal?

Looking forward to being a member on this forum!

Jah4
    daisydotes
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 18834
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post by daisydotes on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 am

Oh yes piccy's are a must so hurry up and post some lol!

Never had problems with the crying and whining with any of mine must have just struck lucky.

Hattie and Louie were both in puppy crates at first which was a big help knowing they are safe and secure when you go out.

Louie used to barkwhen I was preparing his food so I questioned the trainer at puppy class and she said to always have some small treats ready and when he stopped even for a second to say Quiet and give him a treat it took a while but he did cortton on and now he just sits and waits for his food like the girls do.

Not sure about the muzzle until we can see a pic. hint hint,

Claire
    Admin
    Admin

Female

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:45 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum group hug

Well the crying at night will pass.. IF you don't give in and go to him. Our worst one for this is our new puppy Lexie who took 5 nights before she settled but it's normally less. Just make sure you don't even acknowledge him when he cries or he will learn that's what he needs to do to get your attention. Just put earplugs in and bear with it for a couple of nights honestly it will work!

How long of you had him? Can't wait to hear all about him and you and to see some pics.

If you go to the TECH HELP section there are details on how to post pics etc, where to get signatures from etc.

Welcome on board xxx

jah4
    Puppy
    Puppy

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-06-28

Post by jah4 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:20 am

Thank you Claire and Daisy! :)
    Yes, pics will soon come... lol... We got him yesterday - Monday, June 29th (we are in Toronto, ON Canada). So it was his first night last night... which wasn't too bad - still the crying and whining, but for the most part, we ignored him. We did get up once to put him out. How do you know if he's just trying to get outside to eliminate? Do I leave him in there all night? From what times should I crate him for the night? We let him out this morning at about 6:30 to go outside and have breakfast and a good romp. He's back in the crate whining and crying away... lol... will have to get a spray bottle today! lol...
    Claire
    Admin
    Admin

Female

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:40 am

Well our pup goes in the crate about 11pm and out at 630-7am..but it depends on when you need to go to bed, you want them to fit in with the same bedtime routine you have ideally.

Well, don't feed them anything half an hour before bed... last thing before bed take them out to do a wee and (if poss. a poo) and make sure they at least do this bedtime wee! Crate them. I have read that a puppy can 'hold it' for as many hours they are weeks in age as a rough guideline.. i.e. 8 week old pup can hold it for 8 hours... personally i think this is pretty accurate.... have never had a pup have an accident in their crate at night (or in the day for that matter - except when poorly and had the squits). And don't forget the body shuts down at night so they need to go less often than they do in the day anyway. Then in the morning, out the crate and straight off to toilet as they will need it!!

If you are certain they need the toilet after they are in the crate and that is the reason for their crying... let them out, take them straight outside, let them do their business, take them straight back to the crate and go back to bed yourself. Do not speak to them or interact with them at all.. don't switch on all the lights.. don't play with them.. basically don't reward or acknowledge them or make it a fun thing.. make it clear that it is a toilet trip and nothing more, not time to get up!!

ஐJudelஐ
    Moderators
    Moderators

Female
    Number of posts : 11183

Post by ஐJudelஐ on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:20 am

Well Hello there and welcome aboad the mad house..lol

party popper :cheer1: party popper :cheer1: party popper :cheer1:

Can't wait for pics. group cheer

Good luck with the training, there are a lot of us on here at the same stage with our puppies so will all be in this together. bouncing heads

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 pm