Welcome to Holy Shih Tzu! Please login or register and join in!
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 642820

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Holy Shih Tzu! Please login or register and join in!
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 642820

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Shih Tzu Lovers everywhere to Chat

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Ggggg10

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:02 am

Latest topics

» I miss you guys....
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm by Fluff

» Looking at a Shih Tzu Pup
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 pm by daisydotes

» Please welcome Maggie as Show Advisor
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:09 pm by jessup

» Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am by Fluff

» Help Harness keeps coming off
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm by daisydotes

» House Breaking
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 am by Fluff

» New shih tzu owner
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:51 pm by achoo

» Hi, I'm New
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:47 am by Honeyboo

» Hello New ToThe Community
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Thu May 22, 2014 12:27 pm by daisydotes

» I have 3 Shih-Tzus! New to the forum! :)
My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 pm by LokisMamma

+5
daisydotes
Monika
angel01
ஐJudelஐ
EverythingMurray
9 posters

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed?

EverythingMurray
    EverythingMurray
    Puppy
    Puppy

Female
    Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2011-04-13

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Empty My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed?

Post by EverythingMurray Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm

I just got a shih tzu, or I am thinking shih tzu mix 4 weeks ago. His name is Murray. He is 19 weeks and almost 6kg (13lbs)!!! His mum looked just like a shih tzu (at least to me...I'm no expert) but I'm not sure what his dad was. The owner said he was a "pure white shih tzu" but she also said that the mum was pregnant when she adopted her from the pound, so who knows how much of her story is correct.

He was having problems with strangers when I first got him, he growled at everyone, peed all the time when he was anxious or scared or excited, and hated leaving the apartment (I would have to pretty much drag him or coax him with treats to get him to walk anywhere). Now, we are walking well, sitting, staying, lying down (sometimes), the growling is 90% better (he is still weary of kids...very important to keep working on that), he loves to go to the park and play with other dogs and he is in puppy classes. Overall, I'm very pleased with the progress he has made.

Any shih tzu experts (or non experts :) )willing to venture a guess as to what breed he may be mixed with and how big he might grow up to be? As I said, I think he's too big to be a shih tzu, his nose is a bit long, eyes are small, and his hair has a little bit of curl to it. When we run into other shih tzu's at the park, he is the same size as them, and he is only just over 4 months. Of course I have attached lots of pictures of my little cutie as well! I'm not trying to condone cross breeding or anything by having him, but his mum was at the shelter pregnant as I said, and he was sweet and needed help (so unsocialized) so I just wanted to give him a chance)

Pre-haircut!

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray3

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murrayseal

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray2

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray10
    being naughty...and he knows it!

Post-haircut!

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray6

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray11

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray9

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Murray8

Last edited by EverythingMurray on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ஐJudelஐ
    ஐJudelஐ
    Moderators
    Moderators

Female
    Number of posts : 11183
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Empty Re: My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed?

Post by ஐJudelஐ Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello there welcome to the forum, firstly let me just say he is one cutie and the pics are great. To me he looks more of a lhasa apso cross ut not sure what else with. Could be lab, or with his colouring of his nose and eyes a setter, cant remember there name off to take a look. Be right back
    angel01
    angel01
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female
    Number of posts : 4875
    Registration date : 2009-05-28

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Empty Re: My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed?

Post by angel01 Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:39 pm

welcome not sure what he is but he is really cute.
    Monika
    Monika
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female
    Number of posts : 6394
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

Post by Monika Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:44 pm

He soooo cute! My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 632669 And so big already! I am sure one of the others might be able to give you some clue to what he is. I am sure though whatever he turns out to be he is going to be a stunner! My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 849264
    EverythingMurray
    EverythingMurray
    Puppy
    Puppy

Female

Post by EverythingMurray Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I just hope he's not huge! I don't have a large apartment and like something small who can cuddle with me!
    ஐJudelஐ
    ஐJudelஐ
    Moderators
    Moderators

Female

Post by ஐJudelஐ Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:47 pm

This breed came to mind..

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Lhasa-10

you might be able to tell more as he gets older. I can def see Lhasa though.

His nose and eyes remind me of this breed..
    My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Untitl10

Be interesting to see what everyone else can see in him.

Glad he is doing well now good boy

Monika
    Monika
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female

Post by Monika Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 pm

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Thumbnail.aspx?q=553380545548&id=2fd7164574c8fbfe77b7ba919dc00c98&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bardantop.co.uk%2fcommunities%2f8%2f004%2f006%2f867%2f698%2fimages%2f4523559672 Italian Spinone?????? My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 90678
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 18834
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post by daisydotes Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Well he sure is a handsome little guy

Think I agree with Jules on the Lhasa connection and Monika seems to have hit the nail on the head with the Italian Spinone

Hopefully as he grows you will be able to see more charachteristics (sp) coming through
    Fluff
    Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 39100

Post by Fluff Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Hello from me too xxx

I dont think Lhasa as even their noses arnt that long, he reminds me of a Tibetan terrier as i remember seeing Carols and hes very similar...

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? Images10

He is just sooooooooooooo adorable cheers
    Claire
    Claire
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 19569

Post by Claire Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 pm

I was going to say Tibetan Terrier, hes just like a grey and white one i know.
    Fluff
    Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female

Post by Fluff Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah so much like them eh cheers
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Admin
    Admin

Post by daisydotes Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I always forget the Tibetan terrier

Looking at google images (see link) Fluff and Claire could be on the mark

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tibetan+terrier&hl=en&rlz=1T4ACAW_enGB307GB307&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aCGmTaviOdGLhQeg1djRCQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ
    Monika
    Monika
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female

Post by Monika Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm

My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 825775 yes! They do look just like him! Gorgeous! My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 164227
    EverythingMurray
    EverythingMurray
    Puppy
    Puppy

Female

Post by EverythingMurray Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Do you think he has any Shih Tzu in him? His mother was much smaller than the Tibetan terrier description, I'd guess 15 lbs? Haha I guess it doesn't matter...just curious. Also his coat is very silky and thin, if that helps :) when he is wet you can see lots of skin.
    Claire
    Claire
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 19569

Post by Claire Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:33 am

I reckon he is crossed with a shiddie yeah Wink
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Admin
    Admin

Post by daisydotes Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 am

yes maybe shid TT cross
    Fluff
    Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female

Post by Fluff Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 am

I think he will of just taken after dad more, did they home him to you as a full shiddie ???
    EverythingMurray
    EverythingMurray
    Puppy
    Puppy

Female

Post by EverythingMurray Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah told me he was purebred but no papers or anything. Have noticed his odd feet look just like the TT description. Think you're on to something :D hope he doesn't get too big, though. Looking at growth charts he ought to be just under 20lbs but who knows how accurate those are. Vet said not very.
    Fluff
    Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female

Post by Fluff Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Well the TT's ive seen of Carols are adorable and not that big so i think you will be fine, shame how people can be so cruel and sell them as pure breds Sad

I really do think he is adorable cheers
    Monika
    Monika
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female

Post by Monika Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:25 pm

I agree a real cutie! My new shih tzu (probably mix) Murray! help guessing his breed? 471451
    achoo
    achoo
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female
    Number of posts : 3957
    Registration date : 2009-03-26

Post by achoo Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 pm

yes he is really lovely cheers
    angelswithin
    angelswithin
    Best Of The Best
    Best Of The Best

Female
    Number of posts : 5659
    Registration date : 2010-06-12

Post by angelswithin Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:25 pm

He is lovely. The when I first saw his pic I thought he had a terrier breed in him. He has got shih tzu in him tho you can really see that but yeah he really has tt features. He is really lovely and looks such a cheeky chap. Can't wait for more pics as he grows x
    EverythingMurray
    EverythingMurray
    Puppy
    Puppy

Female

Post by EverythingMurray Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 am

Tibetan terrier isn't really a "terrier" though, is it? dunno
    Fluff
    Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female

Post by Fluff Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 am

No they dont look or act like a terrier, not sure really Embarassed
    ஐJudelஐ
    ஐJudelஐ
    Moderators
    Moderators

Female

Post by ஐJudelஐ Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 am

EverythingMurray wrote:Tibetan terrier isn't really a "terrier" though, is it? dunno

Fluff wrote:No they dont look or act like a terrier, not sure really Embarassed

me either...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 pm