Welcome to Holy Shih Tzu! Please login or register and join in!
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  642820

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Holy Shih Tzu! Please login or register and join in!
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  642820

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Shih Tzu Lovers everywhere to Chat

Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Ggggg10

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:02 am

Latest topics

» I miss you guys....
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm by Fluff

» Looking at a Shih Tzu Pup
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 pm by daisydotes

» Please welcome Maggie as Show Advisor
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:09 pm by jessup

» Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am by Fluff

» Help Harness keeps coming off
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm by daisydotes

» House Breaking
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 am by Fluff

» New shih tzu owner
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:51 pm by achoo

» Hi, I'm New
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:47 am by Honeyboo

» Hello New ToThe Community
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Thu May 22, 2014 12:27 pm by daisydotes

» I have 3 Shih-Tzus! New to the forum! :)
Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 pm by LokisMamma

4 posters

Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!

Cece12

Female
    Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2014-07-01

Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Empty Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!

Post by Cece12 Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Hello all!!

I have a 16 month old shih tzu! She is absolutely adorable and we love her very much. She is usually pretty well behaved although she does like to play a lot and sometimes bites our fingers. But we are pretty stern with her. She is also very small 6.5 pounds. She was the runt of the litter and almost died. The vet says she is in perfect health.

She LOVES people. She is always looking for attention. Well recently (this past weekend) she has starting snapping and biting people when they try to pick her up! We went to a bon fire and she was with us. She is usually the life of the party. Well we came to the fire and she bit the first two people who tried to pet her. Then she tried to bite my sister in law and me! This continued all weekend whenever someone would try to pick her up (someone who she didn't know as well) she would just bite them.

We were not at home all weekend (we stayed with my parents) and there were many new people. And other people she knows quite well. But usually she is SO good with new people. I want to nip this behavior in the bud asap. This can't become a normal thing for her. I can tell its out of fear and she is getting nervous. But I'm wondering why this is happening now. We have gone away with her to the same place many times and never had any issues! She is a VERY attached dog. She is obsessed with me and has to be in the same room as me at all times. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

When she does bite we are very firm with her and she puts her head down like she knows. But I'm not sure what to do! Help!
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 18834
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Empty Re: Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!

Post by daisydotes Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm

welcome  from me and the crew.

Not sure why she should suddenly start to snap like that sometimes puppy's can get a bit over zealous but not continually. Have you checked her over to make sure she hasn't hurt herself and that would make it uncomfortable for her to be handled. Daisy occasionally has a snap when I go to pick her up but only in the morning when she knows it groom time not one of her favourite things to be doing. Like you I am very firm with her and still pick her up she soon settles down and then I must continue with the grooming.

If she shows no signs of being hurt in any way then Possibly just too many people around her making her nervous and apprehensive.
    Honeyboo
    VIP Member
    VIP Member

Female
    Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2014-06-11

Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!  Empty Re: Please help! My 16 month old shih tzu has suddenly starting snapping at people!

Post by Honeyboo Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi and welcome.

I can't really offer advice as I am new to the whole puppy thing.all I can say is she might just be trying to make everyone feel beneath her and she is trying to be the head of you all!

Having said that I don't know how you stop it.

Xxxx
    Fluff
    Fluff
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 39100
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Fluff Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am

Cant say anymore than said above really, strange just started and would make me think shes maybe in pain ??

Good luck and hope it all settles soon x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 am